University of Maine at Fort Kent
Campus Calendar Facebook Youtube Instagram
rounded end of search box field
background image: female basketball player on the court background image: male soccer player on the soccer field
line separating the site's main navigation bar from the content area
blurred photo of the UMFK Sports Center

Bengals Fall at Home to WVU Tech
September 15, 2015 • Fort Kent, Maine

Fort Kent, Maine--The University of Maine at Fort Kent saw a nearly 10 season and 55 match unbeaten streak come to an end Tuesday afternoon as they dropped a 2-1 thriller to West Virginia Tech. The contest was a rematch of the past two USCAA National Championships which WVU defeated the Bengals each time. The last time the Bengals lost was during the 2006 season.

West Virginia Tech struck first scoring a goal just two minutes into the match. A corner kick found Golden Bearcat midfielder Francisco Neto who drilled a shot a congested penalty area and keeper Butch Forbes had no chance as he lost sight of the ball.

UMFK answered just two minutes later after a no call in the middle of the field resulted in Ben Kluvers getting a touch on the ball. He then advanced it to Ross Downie who snuck it past WVU keeper Pol Bernaldo. Forbes kept the match at 1-1 as he made a spectacular save from a cross ball who found a wide open streaking Matias Gandulfo in the ninth minute.

It was then WVU who knocked again as Neto took a ball down the left flank and kicked a ball on goal that was deflected by a Bengal defender. Forbes dove in the direction of the orignal shot and had no chance at saving the deflection.

The second half was dominated by the Bengals. UMFK pressured the entire half looking for the equalizer and had plenty of chances to do so. In the 61st minute it was Downie who made a series of moves to get past at least six Golden Bearcat defenders and struck a shot on goal that appeared to be in the back of the net, but was just wide and hit the side netting.

The best chance for the Bengals to tie was in the 64th minute when a throughball that WVU keeper Bernaldo and Ben Kluvers collided on snuck past the goalie but it was Raul Martin who made a sliding save right on the goal line to keep the lead intact. In the 81st minute, left back Stuart Conway crossed a ball in to Rodney Witter's head, the ball struck the cross bar but WVU Tech was able to clear.

The Bengals will play home on Sunday September 20th against Fisher College during their annual Homecoming matchat 2:00pm.