University of Maine at Fort Kent
Campus Calendar Facebook Youtube Instagram
rounded end of search box field
background image: female basketball player on the court background image: male soccer player on the soccer field
line separating the site's main navigation bar from the content area
blurred photo of the UMFK Sports Center

Bengals Drop National Championship Match
November 8, 2014 • Charleston, West Virginia

15th minute…left footed free kick past diving keeper but just sailed over bar by Ryan Baker—WVU

25th minute…header from corner kick deflected out by UMFK defender

26th minute…ball scored by WVU but was calle3d back for offsides

35th minute…Alex Castor goal…dribbled down the right side of box and fired it past forbes

41’ Daniel blackwood made a couple of moves got the ball on left foot but couldn’t connect and was saved by goalie

47th minute…goal by Carlos Sendin…umfk failed to clear it out on several occasions and the ball found alex castor who served it in and Sendin headed it past a helpless forbes

65’ minute ross downie second yellow of the match on a sliding tackle near the touch line

Charleston, WV—University of Maine Fort Kent men’s soccer season came to an end Saturday night after they dropped a tough, 2-0, USCAA National Championship contest to host and defending champs West Virginia Tech. The loss was the Bengals first of the season and they will finish with a record of 20-1-1. It was a very rough, hard fought contest by both teams but WVU really dominated play from start to finish. They were able to outshoot the Bengals 16-3 and held UMFK’s dynamic scoring trio, 2014 USCAA Player of the Year Ben Kluvers, and seniors Willie Monthe and Kennard Brown to zero shots for the entire match.

The first half of play was controlled mostly by West Virginia Tech. UMFK keeper Akheim Forbes was able to keep the game scoreless at the half by making some outstanding saves, much like he has all tournament long. The first in the 25th minute as a sweeping corner came in and was headed toward goal, but Forbes dove to his left to make the save. WVU was able to strike 9 minutes later however as Alex Castor beat two UMFK defenders down the right side of the box and powered it past Forbes. The Bengals would have their best chance of the half when Daniel Blackwood made a couple of moves past WVU defenders and got the ball to his left foot but was able to fully connect with it, as West Virginia Tech keeper Hunter Moles was able to save it.

West Virginia Tech opened the second half only a minute and 30 seconds in with a goal to put them up, 2-0 in what ended up as the final score. Multiple times UMFK defenders tried and were unable to clear the ball resulting in Alex Castor corralling it on the right wing and sending a cross onto Carlos Sendin’s head. Forbes dove to save it but he was unable to do so as Sendin placed it perfectly in the top right corner. UMFK never quit, but just were not able to muster many chances. A second yellow card by Ross Downie, put the Bengals at a huge disadvantage, having to play a man down. West Virginia Tech’s defense was solid and didn’t allow anymore Bengal opportunities.

Akheim Forbes saved four of the six shots he faced before being replaced in the 74th minute by Jamie Cleland. Cleland made the best save of the tournament as UMFK took all 10 field players up for a free kick, the ball was deflected out forcing Cleland to go 1 v 1 with the WVU striker. Cleland baited him for a few seconds before sprinting and making a sliding tackle to keep the score at 2-0. WVU keeper Hunter Moles saved both UMFK shots on goal.

The game was the final game for two Bengals, Willie Monthe and Kennard Brown. Together they will be remembered for the goal scoring and shot making abilities. They leave UMFK with four appearances in the National Tournament, including consecutive championship games.