University of Maine at Fort Kent
Campus Calendar Facebook Youtube Instagram
rounded end of search box field
background image: female basketball player on the court background image: male soccer player on the soccer field
line separating the site's main navigation bar from the content area
blurred photo of the UMFK Sports Center

UMFK Crushes Fisher College
September 17, 2016 • Fort Kent, Maine

Fort Kent, Maine—The University of Maine at Fort Kent women's and men's soccer teams swept Fisher College on Saturday afternoon. The women won 6-0 and the men won 8-0.

In the women's game, the Bengals took advantage of the Falcons short bench and used theirs to their advantage to wear down Fisher College. Three Bengal goals in a nine minute span in the first half ended all hopes for the Falcons. Jennifer Cudjoe headed in two balls, seven minutes apart, both on deliveries from the right flank by Marie-Laurence Montagne and Catherine Bruno.

Bruno then fed USCAA Player of the Week and USCAA number one goal scorer, Sherifatu Sumaila to complete the first half scoring.

Bruno added her first goal and third assist of the game, two minutes apart, five minutes into the second half and Logan Bubar added a late goal for the Bengals.

Valentina Green and Katie Condon split halves in goal and did not face a shot.

In the men's game, the Bengals opened their home campaign with a convincing win. They dominated play in both halves, outshooting Fisher 24-2 and two-time reigning USCAA National Player of the Year, Ben Kluvers scored a hat trick, all within seven minutes after halftime.

The game was close for the first 40 minutes with the Bengals missing the mark too many times. Freshman Carlos Crusat Lopez opened the scoring in the sixth minute. Odean Irons made the delivery and Crusat Lopez took the shot, which was initially saved but scooted past Falcon keeper, Eliseu DePina. In the 40th minute, Keano Williams took the feed from Rodney Witter on a one time and drilled it home.

Four Bengal scores in the first seven minutes of the half, took the wind out of the Falcons sails. Kluvers scored his final two goals to complete his hat trick, just two minutes apart, a minute into the half. The first on a free kick delivery from Kyle Robin and the next on a crafty move by Crusat Lopez who then delivered the ball into the box.

Ricardo Whitely added a penalty kick in the 88th minute for his first career goal as a Bengal.

Butch Forbes made two saves in goal to pick up with win.